ANDREWS FAMILY TREE

HOME CONTENTS

This is the family tree of my father Dudley John Andrews who was born on the 28th of May 1929 and died on the 18th of April 2010 at the age of 80.

Family relationships within the tree are with regards to myself, Stephen Andrews.

If you hold the copyright for any of the pictures that are in use, please contact me so I can attribute them or remove them.

 

Sixth Generation (3rd Great Grand Parents)

Henry Isaac & Ann Inder

Elizabeth Isaac (1841 – 1911)
John Andrews (1883 – 1942)
John Henry Andrews (1907 - 1971)
Dudley John Andrews (1929 - 2010)
Stephen Michael Andrews (1959 – )
 
George III (1760 - 1820)                 House of Hanover (1714 - 1901)
George IV (1820 - 1830)
William IV (1830 - 1837)
Victoria (1837 – 1901)                   
Edward VII (1901 - 1910)               House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1901 - 1917) and Windsor (from 1917) 
 
Henry Isaac
Henry is the son of Abraham Isaac and Sarah Weakley and was born in 1813 in Martock, Somerset and was christened on the 30th of July 1813 in All Saints' Parish Church in Martock.  He died the day before his 30th birthday on the 29th of July 1842 in Martock and was buried on the 4th of August 1842 at All Saints'.
 
Possess; Marriage certificate.
 
In this year, 1813;
  • British forces are driven out of Toronto, Canada by American forces under General Dearborn moved into the Upper Canadian capital on the shores of Lake Ontario;
  • 29th of January, Pride and Prejudice is published to great acclaim.
Martock is about four miles from Kingsbury Episcopi where Ann is from.  It was known in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Mertoch.  It means 'Rising bright from the shining sea' from the Old English 'meretorht'.  It was the property of Queen Eagdith, wife of Godwin and mother of Earl Harold, Harold II.  By 1066 it was the property of Queen Edith, wife of Edward the Confessor.  The word root, 'Mer' can also refer to a 'boundary or shore line' from the Old English 'maere'.  It is possible that the name included the Old English element 'stoc' meaning 'by a lake'.
 
An alternative theory to the origin of the name comes from the Old English words 'mart' meaning market and 'ac' for oak.  This might relate to an oak tree on the spot now occupied by the Market House or more precisely the column there.
 
Dating from the 13th century All Saints' Anglican Church is the Parish Church of Martock and is a Grade I listed building.  The church was acquired by the Treasurer of Wells Cathedral in 1227 and he became the rector and patron of the church, living in the Treasurer's House.  The tower dates from around 1505, in four stages, with offset corner buttresses to the full height of the tower, to replace the previous one over the central crossing.  At the same time the rest of the church was also restored and expanded. This expansion was paid for by Lady Margaret Beaufort. 
In July 1645 the church was used as a billet and damaged by the troops of Oliver Cromwell after a battle at Bridgwater, this included the removal of the statues of saints from niches in the clerestory.  The church was in the early 1800s, and also in 1883–84 when a new pulpit was installed.  The interior includes a stucco plaster altar and an organ which was previously in Wells Cathedral.
In 1919 the Lady Chapel was restored and furnished, and a screen added across the aisle arch. In 1921 the Jacobean altar table, which had long been used as a vestry table, was repaired and replaced as the High Altar.
All Saints' Martock
 
On the marriage certificate of the 27th of May 1841, in All Saints' Church both bachelor Henry and spinster Ann are stated as being of full age.  Both are given as resident in Martock.  Henry's father does not appear on the certificate but Simeon Inder, Ann's father does.  The certificate is signed by Ann but has the mark of Henry, suggesting that Henry is illiterate, and is witnessed by Luke Inder and Sophia Isaac.  Luke is Ann’s elder brother and Sophia is Henry’s youngest sister.
 
On the 6th of June 1841, the night of the census, Henry and Ann are living in North Street in Martock.  Henry was working as a shoemaker at the time.  They are neighbours of Ann's parents, Simeon and Mary Inder.
 
Name
Age
 
Occupation
Henry Isaac 28 Head Shoemaker
Ann Isaac 20 Wife  
 
Ann would have been heavily pregnant at the time of the wedding as their daughter Elizabeth was born just one month later on the 27th of June.  Of course Henry is still a shoemaker and they baptised her a few months later on 29th of November in Martock.
 
Henry died on the 29th of July 1842 and was buried in All Saints' a week later on the 4th of August at the age of just 29.  Later that year on the 9th of November Ann gave birth to a second child, Henry. 
 
On the marriage certificate of Elizabeth Isaac and John Andrews, on Christmas Day 1864, Henry is listed as being a labourer. 
 
 
Noted events in his life were:
*  Living: 1841, North Street, Martock, Somerset.
*  He worked as a Shoemaker on 27th May 1841.
*  He worked as a Shoemaker on 27th June 1841.
*  He worked as a Labourer.
 
 
Ann Inder
Ann is the daughter of Simeon Inder and Mary Ann Russell, she was born in 1821 in East Lambrook in Kingsbury Episcopi, Somerset and was christened on the 20th of May 1821 in Kingsbury Episcopi. 
 
Another name for Ann was Ann Inder Isaac Goss.
 
In this year, 1821;
  • John Constable completes his painting The Hay Wain;
  • Elizabeth Fry and others establish the British Ladies' Society for Promoting the Reformation of Female Prisoners, an early example of a national women's organisation.
East Lambrook is a village situated in the civil parish of Kingsbury Episcopi in Somerset and is about four miles west of Martock, where Henry was born.  East Lambrook Manor is a small 15th century manor house and is a Grade II listed building.  The garden was planted by Margery Fish from 1938 until her death in 1969.  She wrote several books on cottage gardens and held the National Collection of Geraniums, and a collection of snowdrops.
 
The Anglican Church of St. James dates from the 12th century.  The parish is part of the benefice of Martock with Kingsbury Episcopi and Ash within the Diocese of Bath and Wells.
 
The pub in the village is the Rose and Crown, which dates from the 17th century, is an establishment that Ann may have been familiar with.
 
 
On the 29th of July 1842 Ann was widowed when Henry died and she was pregnant with their second child, which she named Henry, probably in tribute to her late husband.
 
By the 1851 census Ann, now aged 29 is living at 58 North Street in Martock, as she is still living on North Street it is likely to be the same house she shared with her husband in 1841. 
 
Name
Relation to
Head of Family
Condition Age Occupation Place of birth
Ann Isaac Head Widow 29 Straw bonnet maker Somerset Lambrook
Elizabeth Isaac Daughter Unmarried 9 Scholar Somerset Martock
Henry Isaac Son Unmarried 8 Scholar Somerset Martock
Elizabeth Parsley Lodger Unmarried 30 Glove Sewer Somerset Martock
 
Since she was now a widow it is possible that she took in a lodger to help make ends meet.
 
In 1855 the now 34 year-old Ann married 29 year-old Daniel Goss in Yeovil in Somerset. 
The marriage is recorded as Ann Isaac 1855 Jan-Feb-Mar Yeovil Somerset Vol. 5c Page 731.
 
Yeovil (/ˈjoʊvəl/ YOH-vəl) is a civil parish in Somerset on the Roman road from Dorchester to the Fosse Way at Ilchester. Archaeological surveys of the town have yielded palaeolithic remains, in the shape of burial and settlement sites mainly to the south of the modern town, particularly in Hendford where a Bronze Age golden torc (twisted collar) was found.
Yeovil was first mentioned in a Saxon charter dated 880 as Gifle.  The name derives from the Celtic river-name gifl "forked river", an earlier name of the River Yeo.  The estate was bequeathed in the will of King Alfred the Great to his youngest son Aethelweard. It was recorded in the Domesday Book as Givele, a thriving market community.  After the Norman Conquest the manor, later known as Hendford, was granted to the Count of Eu and his tenant Hugh Maltravers, whose descendants became Earls of Arundel and held the lordship until 1561.  In 1205 Yeovil was granted a charter by King John.  
The Black Death, which peaked between 1341 and 1351, exacted a heavy toll, killing approximately half the population.
During the 1800s Yeovil was a centre of the glove making industry and the population expanded rapidly.  In the mid-19th century it became connected to the rest of Britain by a complex set of railway lines which resulted from competition between the Great Western Railway and the London and South Western Railway.  Ann and Daniel would have been in Yeovil when the Great Western opened Yeovil Penn Mill Station on the 1st of September 1856 as part of its route from London.
 
 
The year after the marriage in 1856 the couple had their first child Samuel Inder Goss who they baptised on the 3rd of September that year at Holy Trinity in Yeovil in Somerset.

Two years later they had another son, Simeon John Inder Goss in the last quarter of 1858 and at the age of one year and five months they baptised him on the 4th of March 1860 in Martock.  He was baptised under the name of Simeon John, but registered as Simeon John Inder Goss.  Daniel was working as a packer at that time and the baptism record gives their address as Allerford near Taunton, which is some 25 miles from Martock.  

However the 1861 census shows that they were living in Allerford in Hillfarrance with their two children Samuel and Simeon.

Name
Relation to
Head of Family
Condition Age Occupation Place of birth
Daniel Goss Head Married 35   Somerset
Ann Goss Wife Married 40   Somerset Lambrook
Samuel Goss Son   5   Somerset
Simeon Goss Son   3   Somerset
 
In 1862 they had a third son, Albert who they christened on the 15th of October that year.  Daniel is now a navigator and their address is given only as Hillfarrance but it can be assumed to be still Allerford.
 
It hasn’t been possible to trace any member of the family on the English or Welsh 1871 census, but by 1881 the family were in Wales.  Ann and Daniel, with sons Simeon and Albert were living at Union Foundry, Llanhilleth, Pontypool Union, Monmouthshire, Wales.  Daniel is out of work and both Simeon and Albert are coal miners and Ann is classed as a domestic.  They also have a visitor Mary Jane Andrews who was born in Herefordshire and is five years old and a scholar.  At present there isn’t a Mary Jane Andrews in the family tree, but the next household on the census is John Andrews, aged 23 and born in Breconshire, who is unmarried and on his own.  It is possible that Mary Jane is his child, and a coincidence that she is an Andrews.
 
Name
Relation to
Head of Family
Condition Age Occupation Place of birth
Daniel Goss Head Married 55 No occupation Somerset
Ann Goss Wife Married 60 Domestic Somerset Lambrook
Simeon Goss Son Single 23 Coal Miner Somerset
Albert Goss Son Single 18 Coal Miner Somerset
Mary Jane Andrews Visitor   5 Scholar Herefordshire
1850s sketch of Holy Trinity
 
On the 28th of October 1890 Ann's son, 32 year-old Simeon John Inder Goss married 16 year-old Lily Maud Andrews in Pontypool in Monmouthshire, Wales.  This causes some confusion as to the relationships involved.  Lily Maud is Ann's granddaughter by her daughter, Elizabeth Isaac, Simeon was therefore Elizabeth's half-brother and so Simeon has married his half-niece.  This means that his half-sister becomes his mother-in-law and Ann, his mother, becomes his grandmother-in-law.  Although such a marriage would be forbidden now it appears that in 1890 it was allowed.
 
The marriage certificate also states that Dan Goss is deceased.
 
A different confusion is caused on the 1891 census from Llanhilleth.  There is a Samuel Goss, though this should be Daniel if all else is correct, who is a widower aged 65, with son of Simeon Goss, daughter-in-law Lilly Maud Goss nee Andrews aged 17 and a granddaughter of Mary J. Andrews aged 18.  Assuming that this is the same Mary Jane from 1881 then her age has increased by 13 years and not 10, but that is not unusual in a census.  But Lilly married Simeon on the 27th of October 1890 in Pontypool, and on the marriage certificate Simeon's father is listed as Dan Goss (Deceased).  Simeon was also her half-uncle as she married the half-brother of her mother.  So Samuel Goss, as listed on the census, cannot be the father of Simeon. 
 
Mary Jane Andrews (1873 - After 1939) appears to be the daughter of John Andrews (1843-1922) and Elizabeth Isaac (1841 – 1911) and so is the granddaughter of Henry Isaac and Ann Inder.  She is therefore the ‘step-granddaughter’ of Daniel Goss and the elder sister, by one year, of Lilly Maud Andrews (Goss).
 
This 1891 Welsh census would of course have suggested that Ann had died by 1891, but on the 1891 census for John Andrews and his wife Elizabeth there is Ann Goss, given as wife’s mother and a widow aged 61, though she would be 71, who was a visitor who was born in Lambrook.  The address is the Great Northern Station House in Awsworth in Nuthall in Nottinghamshire.
 
Name
Relation to
Head of Family
Condition Age Occupation Place of birth
John Andrews Head Married 47 Station Master Rail Devon Exeter
Elizabeth Andrews Wife Married 49   Somerset Martock
Harry Andrews Son Single 29 Coal Miner Somerset Allesford
Edith Andrews Daughter Single 13 Scholar London
Florence Andrews Daughter Single 12 Scholar Derby Pinxton
John Andrews Son Single 8 Scholar Derby Pinxton
Ann Goss Wife's Mother Widow 61 Visitor Somerset Lambrook
 
In 1891 29 year-old Albert Goss married 22 year-old Sarah Jane Williamson in Victoria in Australia.
 
 
It hasn't been possible as yet to find when Ann died, but she cannot be found on the 1901 census either.
 
Noted events in her life were:
*  Living: 1841, North Street, Martock, Somerset.
*  Living: 27th June 1841, Martock, Somerset. 
*  Living: 1851, 58 North Street, Martock, Somerset. 
*  She worked as a Straw bonnet maker in 1851.
*  Living: 4th March 1860, Allerford, Hillfarrance, Somerset. 
*  Living: 1861, Allerford, Hillfarrance, Somerset. 
*  Living: 15th October 1862, Allerford, Hillfarrance, Somerset. 
*  Living: 1881, Union Foundry, Llanhilleth, Pontypool Union, Monmouthshire, Wales. 
*  Visiting: 1891, G. N. Station House, Nuthall, Nottinghamshire.   
 
Henry and Ann married on the 27th of May 1841 in Martock, Somerset.  Children from this marriage were:
i.     Elizabeth Isaac – (27/6/1841 – July 1911)
ii.    Henry Isaac – (9/11/1842 - )
 
Following the death of Henry in 1842 Ann married Daniel Goss in 1855 in Yeovil, Somerset.  Children from this marriage were:
i.     Samuel Inder Goss – (1856 - )
ii.    Simeon John Inder Goss – (1858 – 22/9/1914)
iii.   Albert Goss – (1863 – 1944)
 
 

Ancestors

 
6th Generation 7th Generation 8th Generation  
3rd Great Grandparents 4th Great Grandparents 5th Great Grandparents  
       
    Benjamin Isaac (22/8/1731 - 9/10/1767)  
  Abraham Isaac (1757 - 1824)    
    Grace* (1737 - 5/10/1773)  
Henry Isaac (1813 - 28/7/1842)      
    Matthew Weakley (1753 - 1826)  
  Sarah Weakley (1776 - 1851)    
    Mary Howlit* (1753 - 1789)  
       
    Samuel Inder (9/4/1763 - 1838)  
  Simeon Inder (1799 - 15/6/1880)    
    Hannah Priddle (1779 - 4/5/1866)  
Ann Inder (1821 - )      
    Isaac Russell (1768 - )  
  Mary Russell (1797 - 1847)    
    Sarah Winter (1776 - )