ANDREWS FAMILY TREE
|This is the family tree of
my father Dudley John Andrews who was born on the 28th of May 1929 and
died on the 18th of April 2010 at the age of 80.
Family relationships within the tree are with regards to myself, Stephen Andrews.
If you hold the copyright for any of the pictures that are in use, please contact me so I can attribute them or remove them.
Eighth Generation (5th Great Grand Parents)
Samuel Inder & Hannah Priddle
Simeon Inder (1799 – 1880)
Ann Inder (1821 – )
Isaac (1841 – 1911)
John Andrews (1883 – 1942)
John Henry Andrews
(1907 - 1971)
Dudley John Andrews (1929 - 2010)
Stephen Michael Andrews (1959 – )
George III (1760 -
1820) House of Hanover (1714 - 1901)
George IV (1820 -
William IV (1830 -
Victoria (1837 – 1901)
Samuel is the eldest child of Joseph Inder and Elizabeth Bristow and was
born, or baptised, on the 9th of April 1763 in East Lambrook in Kingsbury Episcopi in
the county of Somerset. He was buried on the 12th of May 1838 in Kingsbury
Episcopi at the age of 75, however his burial record, if correct,
suggests that he was only 65 when he died which means he would have
been born in 1773.
On this day in 1763;
||East Lambrook and Martock 1898 - 1900 St. James Church, East Lambrook St. Martin's Church, Kingsbury Episcopi|
|A year later on the 6th of February 1823 their son, Robert married Sarah Staple in Kingsbury Episcopi. Although Robert signed his name Sarah used her mark. The marriage was witnessed by his sister Keziah who signed with her mark. Robert and Sarah went on to emigrate to Allegheny County in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in America. Five months after Robert’s marriage the couple’s eldest daughter, 21 year-old Keziah married 20 year-old George Bambury in Kingsbury Episcopi on the 8th of July 1823. They both signed the certificate with their marks. On the 8th of December 1829 their daughter, Jane married John Napper in Kingsbury Episcopi. John and Jane both signed with their marks, the witnesses to the marriage, Simeon Inder signed his name but Elizabeth Inder used her mark. In 1831 on the 1st of May their son, Jacob married Louisa Pople in St. James in Taunton in Somerset. In the parish of the Isle Abbotts in Somerset, which is about ten miles west of East Lambrook, their son, 23 year-old Stephen married 20 year-old Ruth Mitcham on the 12th of November 1835. Ruth signed with her marks and the marriage was witnessed by Sarah Inder, who used her mark and Henry Eves. At the age of 75 Samuel passed away on the 12th of May 1838 in Kingsbury Episcopi. On the 11th of December 1838 their son Jacob, his wife Louisa and two children, Helen aged 8 and Louisa aged 4 arrive in New South Wales in Australia to start a new life. A third daughter, Anna May who was 17 months old died on the 23rd of September 1838 whilst at sea. On the 3rd of March 1840 their daughter Harriet married Alford Eves in the parish church of Kingsbury Episcopi which is St. Martin. Samuel’s occupation is given as Accomptant, which is the old-fashioned word for accountant, notably he is not given as deceased. Harriet and Alford signed the certificate with their marks. Three months later on the 4th of June their 25 year-old daughter, Sarah married 24 year-old Simeon Russell and again the wedding took place in St. Martin, the parish church of Kingsbury Episcopi. Samuel’s occupation is given once again as Accomptant. Both of the newly married couple signed the register with their marks. On the 18th of May 1841 their youngest daughter 20 year-old Susan married Gerrard Male in St. Martin’s in Kingsbury Episcopi. The newlyweds signed the certificate with their marks suggesting that they were illiterate. Samuel’s occupation is still given as Accomptant. On the 7th of July 1853 their youngest daughter, Susan was buried in Kingsbury Episcopi at the age of 32. In 1855 just before Christmas, on the 21st of December, her widow was received into Wilton Gaol in Somerset. He is described as married, born in Kingsbury and living in Landport and working as a carpenter, being 5 feet 4.5 inches tall, with a fair complexion, hazel eyes and brown hair. He has three cuts on his left thumb and one in the middle of the right hand. Having departed on the 26th of September 1854 the couple’s 45 year-old daughter, Jane and her husband John Napper arrived in Hobart in Tasmania, Australia on the 8th of January 1855 aboard the Australasia to start a new life. They were with their two sons, Charles aged 17 and James aged 15. Jane was classed as being able to read but not write. Noted events in his life were: * Living: 9 May 1802, East Lambrook, Somerset, from Keziah’s baptism. * Living: 19 Apr 1818, East Lambrook, Somerset. * He worked as a labourer on 19 Apr 1818, from Harriet’s baptism. * Living: 20 May 1821, East Lambrook, Somerset. * He worked as a labourer on 20 May 1821, from Susan’s baptism. Children from this marriage were: i. Simeon Inder – (1799 – 15/6/1880) ii. Henry Inder – (1801 – 13/1/1876) iii. Keziah Inder – (1802 – 1883) iv. Jacob Inder – (1804 – 16/3/1878) v. Robert Inder – (1806 – 13/1/1876) vi. Jane Inder – (1808 – 7/7/1881) vii. Elizabeth Inder – (1810 – buried 14/11/1867) vi. Stephen Inder – (1812 – 1871) vii. Sarah Inder – (1815 – 1889) viii. Harriet Inder – (1818 – 5/11/1897) ix. Susan Inder – (1821 – 1853)|
|Hannah Priddle Hannah is the daughter of Henry Priddle and Anna Thomas and was born in 1779 in Picken Bridge, South Petherton in Somerset. She was baptised in East Lambrook on the 5th of December 1779. Hannah died on 4th May 1866 in Kingsbury Episcopi, Somerset, at age 87. South Petherton is a village and civil parish on the River Parrett in Somerset. It is about four miles south of Kingsbury Episcopi. The parish includes the hamlets of Yeabridge, Compton Durville, South Harp, and Over Stratton, and is approximately two miles from East Lambrook and Martock. It is distinctive for the traditional hamstone construction of many of its buildings. Historically South Petherton was a market town, but these days is regarded to be a village, with many of its ancient functions having ended by around 1870. History of the Priddle name. Priddle is a Somerset name, and not a particular common one. The Priddle family appears in Tintinhull from at least the middle of the 1400’s, acting as churchwardens and bailiffs of the manor. They were a prominent family in the life of the village. Thomas Priddle (d 1546) was a wealthy yeoman farmer in the village and Robert Priddle (d 1557) was a chantry priest at Woolavington in North Somerset. In Tintinhull there are two churchwardens 1463-4 T. Predyll and 1864-5 J. Prydell. It is likely that the name Priddle derives from Prydell. Another branch of the Priddles is associated with South Petherton, Kingsbury Episcopi and East Lambrook, very close to Tintinhull. There is evidence of Priddles in the Devon and Dorset area. 20 year-old Hannah married Samuel who was much older at 36 years-old on the 9th of April 1799. Their Marriage banns were on the 10th, 17th and 24th of March. On the wedding certificate Hannah signed with her mark indicating that she was illiterate. Hannah was a former governess. Noted events in her life were: * Living: 9 May 1802, East Lambrook, Somerset, from Keziah’s baptism. * Living: 19 Apr 1818, East Lambrook, Somerset. * Living: 20 May 1821, East Lambrook, Somerset. * She worked as a governess.|
Jacob Inder – (1804 – 16/3/1878) – 4th Great Grand Uncle
Jacob was born on 10th of October 1804 in East Lambrook.
He was baptised three weeks later on the 4th of November in Roundwell
Street Independent Chapel in South Petherton, known as Mr. Herdsman’s
On the 1st of May 1831 Jacob
married Louisa Pople in St. James in Taunton in Somerset. Louisa was
On the 11th of December 1838 Jacob, a carpenter and
joiner, and his family arrived in New South Wales in Australia aboard
the James Pattison. With him were his 28 year-old wife who worked as a
Nursemaid and his two daughters, Helen aged 8 and Louisa aged 4. Sadly
another daughter Anna May, aged 17 months, died at sea on the 23rd of
The record shows that both Jacob and Louisa could read
and write and that they were both Wesleyans. Both Jacob and Louisa
claimed £18 bounties and the children, Helen got £10 and Louisa £5. £18
in 2017 would be worth £1854.
Jacob Inder discovers gold.
1857 'MERRENDEE AND THE MEROO.'
(From Correspondents of the Mudgee Newspaper.)
MERRENDEE DIGGINGS. - The above diggings are situated
above twenty two miles from Mudgee, in a southerly direction. It
appears they were first discovered as a goldfield in August, 1851, by
Mr. Jacob Inder, of Sydney, but the mode of working for gold at that
period being in its infancy, very little was made by the discovery.
However, much attention has at various times been
directed to this locality, and several parties have prospected the
Towards the latter end of January last, vague rumours
were abroad that gold was being obtained in large quantities. These
statements were confirmed, and, on the 13th of February, the fact of
1150 ounces being obtained in one day increased the excitement, and
numbers of miners flocked in from all directions.
From that time to the present the population has been
steadily and gradually increasing, and now numbers some 2000 diggers,
including women and children.
Instances of individual success, and in some instances
large yields have taken place; the general average is also very good.
This week several nuggets from three to eight ounces hare been found.”
The Maitland Mercury & Hunter River General Advertiser
(NSW : 1843 - 1893)
St. Mary's Catholic Cathedral and Chapter House, College
Street, Sydney, NSW
St Mary’s Catholic Cathedral is the oldest place maintaining its use as a place of worship for the Catholic community in Australia, since its early beginnings in 1821. Constructed between 1866 and 1928, this place is the site of the original St Mary's Cathedral, the first Catholic Church in Australia and can be said to be the birthplace of Catholicism in Australia. The Cathedral is of major architectural significance as the largest 19th century ecclesiastical building in the English Gothic style anywhere in the world and this grand cathedral is a stimulating and worthwhile place to see when in Sydney. The Chapter Hall is the oldest building on the site of St Mary's Cathedral and believed to have been designed by Augustus Welby Pugin. It appears to have been commissioned by Archbishop Polding when visiting England in 1841 and was built between 1843 and 1845. Colonial Architect Mortimer Lewis appears to have selected the site for the Chapter Hall and may have been responsible for overseeing its construction. The building contractor was Jacob Inder. Initially it was used as a catholic school but was converted to a chapter hall in 1910. Ship built by Jacob Inder lost at sea in 1873. Helen, a wooden-carvel built Brigantine sailing ship weighing 63 tons and length of 22.4 m and beam of 5.9 m, was owned by William Wright and built at Jacob Inder & Co. in 1848. It was registered at Sydney. Registration no. 49/1866. On the 9th of January 1873, Helen, with Master, Captain Louis Lettis, with a cargo of timber and a crew of six, was lost due to a leakage off between Korogoro Point and Hat Head, Smoky Cape, New South Wales. Jacob died on 16th of March 1878 in Blue’s Point, North Shore in Sydney in New South Wales, Australia at the age of 73.
|8th Generation||9th Generation||10th Generation|
|5th Great Grandparents||6th Great Grandparents||7th Great Grandparents|
|Ambrose Inder (1698 - )|
|Joseph Inder (1730 - 1789)|
|Mary Stuckey (1704 - 15/2/1774)|
|Samuel Inder (9/4/1763 - 1838)|
|William Bristow (1697 - )|
|Elizabeth Bristow (1730 - )|
|Edith Russell* (1701 - )|
|Samuel Priddle (23/2/1703 - 1774)|
|Henry Priddle (1738 - 16/7/1789)|
|Hannah Taylor (12/6/1706 - 1782)|
|Hannah Priddle (1779 - 4/5/1866)|
|Anna Thomas* (1744 - 1819)|