ANDREWS FAMILY TREE

HOME CONTENTS

This is the family tree of my father Dudley John Andrews who was born on the 28th of May 1929 and died on the 18th of April 2010 at the age of 80.

Family relationships within the tree are with regards to myself, Stephen Andrews.

If you hold the copyright for any of the pictures that are in use, please contact me so I can attribute them or remove them.

 

Fourth Generation (Great Grand Parents)

John Andrews & Florence Louisa Winterbotham Peet

John Henry Andrews (1907 - 1971)
Dudley John Andrews (1929 - 2010)
Stephen Andrews (1959 - )
 
Victoria (1837 – 1901)                    House of Hanover (1714 - 1901)
Edward VII (1901 - 1910)               House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1901 - 1917) and Windsor (from 1917)                 
George V (1910 - 1936)                    
Edward VIII (1936 - 1936)
George VI (1936 - 1952)
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
 
 

John Andrews also known as Jack

 
John is the son, the youngest of ten possibly eleven children, of John Andrews and Elizabeth Isaac and was born on the 15th of November 1882 in Pinxton in Derbyshire.  He was baptised on the 25th of January 1883 in Pinxton, likely to have been in the church of St. Helen.  On the 7th of February 1942 in the General Hospital, Ilkeston, Derbyshire at the age of 59.  The cause of death was Cerebral Haemorrhage and Arterial Degeneration.  His wife Florence was in attendance at his death.
                              
Possess; Death Certificate, Marriage Certificate.
 
In this year, 1882;
  • 12th January, the Holborn Viaduct power station in the City of London, the world's first coal fired public electricity generating station, begins operation, supplying street lighting and some premises;
  • 29th August, the England cricket team is beaten for the first time in a home test match by 7 runs by Australia at the Oval.  The 2nd September issue of The Sporting Times refers to "The Ashes" of English cricket.
Pinxton is a village and on the eastern boundary of DerbyshireIn Anglo-Saxon times, Pinxton was a small agricultural community, thought to have been recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as "Esnotrewic." It is also though that it was known as "Snodeswic," given by Wulfric Spott to Burton Abbey.  In Norman times, along with a number of other manors, it was under the control of William Peveril,   for whom it was held by Drogo fitz Pons.  It is thought that he renamed the manor "Ponceston" and it gradually changed to Penekeston and then to Pinxton.
Since 1800 BC, coal had been extracted in the area.  In 1794 the Cromford Canal encouraged this trade and by the beginning of the next century there were a number of deep coal mines.  There were also four lime kilns and a china works producing quality ware.  Pinxton's prosperity increased further as the terminus, in 1819, of the Mansfield and Pinxton Railway, a horse drawn railway, opened.
From the profits of his colliery at Pinxton, D'Ewes Coke(1747-1811) of Brookhill Hall, a clergyman colliery master, founded a local school and an educational charity.  Coal is no longer mined and the coking ovens and the old colliery village that John would have been familiar with has all but disappeared.
 
The Kelly's Directory edition of 1891 describes the village as;
PINXTON is a parish, partly in Nottinghamshire, 3¾ miles east from Alfreton, 6 south-south-west from Mansfield and 132 from London, in the Mid division of the county, hundred of Scarsdale, Alfreton petty sessional division and county court district, union of Mansfield, rural deanery of Alfreton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell ; the village is situated on a branch of the Erewash canal; the Erewash Valley and Great Northern railways have stations about three-quarters of a mile from the village, called Pinxton and Pinxton Wharf, but both are in the parish of Selston, Notts, and there is also a station for this place on the Mansfield and Ambergate section of the Midland railway.  The church of St. Helena, standing on a height at a distance from the village, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, south transept, a western porch and a tower, on the south side of the chancel, rebuilt with the materials of the old church and containing 2 bells, one of early date but cracked, the other cast in 1803: the font consists of a large octagonal basin on a well-moulded base: in the paving of the aisle remain some incised slabs of the 13th century, and in the chancel is a stone inscribed to Mary Kelsal (1674): the transept has one small Early English window: there are two memorial windows to the Coke family, erected in 1872: there are 180 sittings, 150 being free: in consequence of the dilapidated state of the church, most of the services are now held in the mission room.  The register dates from the year 1561 for all entries, but there is a list of rectors extending back to 1299, and several terriers dating from 1628.  The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £184, net yearly value £230, including residence and 36 acres of glebe, value £60, in the gift of Will. Sacheverell Coke esq. and held since 1885 by the Rev. Sidney Coke B.A. of University College, Durham.  The Sunday school and Mission room, built in 1880, at a cost of about £600, and near the centre of the inhabited part of the parish, are licensed and used for Sunday and weekday services.  There are Primitive Methodist and Free Methodist chapels. The Rev. Francis Gisborne, sometime rector of Staveley, left to this parish in 1818 the sum of £6 15s. yearly for flannel for the poor.  Here are extensive collieries belonging to Messrs. Coke and Co.; nails are also made.
Brookhill Hall, the seat of Wm. Sacheverell Coke esq. J.P. is a large and handsome building, surrounded by well. timbered grounds, and was the property of King James I by whom the manor of Brookhill was granted to one Middleton.  Longwood Hall is the residence of Major Walter Salmond J.P. The Manor of Pinxton is supposed by Lysons to have been the "Snodeswic " given by Wulfric Spott to Burton Abbey as an appendage to Morton, and the "Esnotrewic" of the Domesday survey: according to local tradition Pinxton was held by Drogo, under William Peverel: it has for several centuries passed with one of the moieties of South Normanton, and is the property of William Sacheverell Coke esq. J.P. who is chief landowner.  The land is chiefly pasture.  The soil is clay and loam; subsoil, chiefly clay.  The area is 1,154 acres in Derbyshire and 99 acres in Notts; rateable value, £7,588; the population in 1871 was 1,973; and in 1881 was 2,317, of which 31 are in Notts.
At the time of his christening on the 25th of January 1883 the parish register for Pinxton shows that the family were living in Codnor Park and his father John was the Station Master there.  But by 1891 the family had moved to the Great Northern Station House in Nuthall in Nottinghamshire, some ten miles south-west of Codnor Park.
 
 
John Andrews Head Married 47 Station Master (Rail) Devon Exeter
Elizabeth Wife Married 49   Somerset Martock
Harry Son Single 29 Coal Miner Somerset Allerford
Edith Daughter Single 13 Scholar London
Florence Daughter Single 12 Scholar Derby Pinxton
John Son Single 8 Scholar Derby Pinxton
Ann Goss Wife's Mother Widow 61 Illegible Somerset Lambrook
 
Harry is actually Harry Isaac the illegitimate son of Elizabeth.
 
John was to follow in his father’s footsteps and work on the railways.  By 1901 he was living in Linby in Nottinghamshire and had begun his working life on the railways as a porter.
 
John Andrews Head Married 56 Railway Station Master Devon Exeter
Elizabeth Wife Married 59   Somerset Martock
John Son Single 18 Railway Porter Derbyshire Pinxton
Frederick Evans Son in Law Married 28 Railway Platelayer Cheshire Macclesfield
Fanny Evans Daughter Married 26   Bedfordshire Sandy
Florence H Grand Daughter   2   Derby

Linby is a small village with a current population of less than 250 in Nottinghamshire It is ten miles north of Nottingham and ten miles south of Mansfield.  The village grew up around the mills on the River Leen, from which Linby's name is derived.  Small streams known as Linby Docks run on both sides of the main street.

In the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870 - 72) John Marius Wilson described it as:

"LINBY, or LINDEBY, a village and a parish in Basford district, Notts. The village stands adjacent to the Nottingham and Mansfield railway, near the river Leen, 9¼ miles N by W of Nottingham; has a station on the railway, and a post office under Nottingham; and has Likewise two ancient crosses, which were supposed to mark an entrance-boundary of Sherwood forest.—The parish comprises 1,190 acres. Real property, £2,147; of which £25 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 310; in 1861, 257. Houses, 53. The property is not divided. The manor belongs to A. F. W. Montagu, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £280. I Patron, A. F. W. Montagu, Esq. The church was recently restored, has a tower, and contains monuments of the Chaworths."

The church of St. Michael is much restored, but dates back to the 13th century. There are two crosses in the village – Top Cross, was originally medieval and Bottom Cross probably erected around 1660 to celebrate the restoration of King Charles II.

A local legend claims that the pancake was invented by the women of the village, to celebrate the defeat of Danish invaders who had enslaved them.

Despite its small nature Linby had a colliery from 1873 to 1988.  By 1963 it was producing 1.3 million tons of coal with a manpower of 1113 which made it the most productive colliery in Europe.  Also three railway lines once passed through Linby, with stations on two of them.

The first was the Midland Railway line from Nottingham to Mansfield and Worksop which closed to passengers on the 12th of October 1964, though partly retained as a freight route serving collieries at Annesley and Newstead, just three miles north of Linby.  In the 1990s this line was reopened to passengers in stages, the section through Linby in 1993, but Linby station did not reopen with it.

The second line was the Great Northern Railway, which became part of the LNER, route serving many of the same places as the Midland. It closed to passengers on the 14th of September 1931 but remained in use for freight until the 25th of March 1968.  Though the Linby station on this line had closed long before on the 1st of July 1916.

The third line was the Great Central Railway, which also became part of the LNER, the last main line ever built from the north of England to London, opened on the 15th of March 1899. The stretch through Linby, which crossed over both the other lines, closed completely on the 5th of September 1966, but there had never been a Linby station on this line.

Since his father was Great Northern station master at Nuthall it seems likely that he was the station master of the Great Northern in Linby, and that John was portering there.
 

At the same time in 1901 Florence his prospective wife was a housemaid and domestic living at the Rectory in Linby, and it seems likely that the couple met whilst both were living there and began courting.  In 1906 they were married, the wedding took place on the 4th of June that year at the Barnby Gate Weslyan Chapel in Newark in Nottinghamshire.

By this time 26 year-old Florence was living and working as a house servant at Winthorpe Hall near Newark, whilst 23 year-old John was living at 31 Carnarvon Street in Netherfield, Nottingham.  John was working as a shunter on the railways, presumably at Colwick Sidings near to where he lived.  The marriage was witnessed by Florence's sister, Lillian Beatrice Winterbotham Peet and William Henry Bashforth, who was Florence's brother-in-law and married to her sister, Marian.

The following year, on the 9th of July 1907, the couple celebrated the birth of their son John Henry Andrews at 45 Chandos Street in Netherfield.  John Henry's son, Dudley thought that John Henry was a twin and that the other child died in infancy, he also thought that John Henry had an older brother who died aged five to seven years old.  It has not been possible to trace either of these children and it appears that John Henry was the couple's only child.  Indeed the 1911 census states that they had, at that time, one child who is is still living.

This census shows that the couple have moved, yet again, to 2 York Street in Netherfield, a four roomed end of terrace house and is on the corner with Chandos Street.

John Andrews Head 28 Married Railway Brakesman Derbyshire Pinxton
Florence Andrews Wife 31 Married   Notts Newark
John H. Andrews Son 3 Single   Notts Netherfield

Wesleyan Chapel, Barnby Gate, Newark

 
On the 4th of August 1914 Britain declared war on Germany, The Foreign Office issued the following official statement:-;
'Owing to the summary rejection by the German Government of the request made by his Majesty's Government for assurances that the neutrality of Belgium will be respected, his Majesty's Ambassador to Berlin has received his passports, and his Majesty's Government declared to the German Government that a state of war exists between Great Britain and Germany as from 11 p.m. on August 4, 1914.'
 
At the time there was a clamour to volunteer for a war that would have been over by Christmas 1914, at the age of 31 it isn't known how John reacted but there is no record of him serving in the military during the war, but 'Railway Servants employed in the manipulation of traffic and in the maintenance of the lines and rolling stock' was on list C of the reserved occupations and so he is likely to missed the horrors of the Western Front.
 
On the 10th of November 1928 the couple's 21 year-old son, John Henry married 20 year-old Noreen Dudley in St. Matthias' Church on St. Matthias Road in the St. Ann's district of Nottingham.
 
In December 1938 it was announced in the House of Commons that in the event of war, a National Register would be taken that listed the personal details of every civilian in Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  This Register was to be a critical tool in coordinating the war effort at home, it would be used to issue identity cards, organise rationing and more.  On the 3rd of September 1939 Britain declared war on Germany and Britain’s involvement in the Second World War began.  Subsequently it was announced that National Registration Day would be the 29th of September 1939. 

This is a thumbnail, click on it to enlarge

Netherfield showing Carnarvon Street, Chandos Street, Forester Street and
York Street

The entry for 38 Forester Street in Netherfield was;

John Andrews Male 15.11.82 Married Railway Guard  
Florence Andrews Female 16.9.79 Married House-wife  
John H. Andrews Male 9.7.07 Married Printer's Traveller First Aid A.R.P.
This record is officially closed
Derek Andrews Male 3.5.32 Single At School  
 
It is at this time that their son was having marriage problems and consequently John and Florence were looking after two of their three grandchildren, David Anthony (Tony) and Derek.  Although Tony died before Derek it seems likely that the closed record is his.   Noreen, John Henry's wife, is living in Chelsea in London.  It isn't known for how much longer John Henry lived at Forester Street since he went into the Army and was taken prisoner before the Dunkirk evacuation of 1940.
 
In the UK Railway Employment Records, 1833-1956, for London and North Eastern Railway, 1939-1940 Returns of Staff, John was a Goods Guard at Colwick Sidings working for London & North Eastern Railways, having started work on the 7th of November 1897, at the age of 14.  By the time of this record on the 31st of October 1939 he had a weekly wage of £3 and 5 shillings.  In 2018 this would have been equivalent to £207.68.
 
 
On the 7th of February 1942 John died at the General Hospital in Ilkeston in Derbyshire, some 14 miles from home it is possible that the haemorrhage took place whilst John was at work on the railways near Ilkeston.
 
 
Noted events in his life were:
*  Living: 25th January 1883, Codnor Park, Derbyshire. 
*  Living: 1891, G. N. Station House, Nuthall, Nottinghamshire. 
*  He worked as a Scholar in 1891.
*  He began work on the London & North Eastern Railway on the 7th November 1897.
*  Living: 1901, Linby, Nottinghamshire. 
*  He worked as a Railway Porter in 1901.
*  Living: 4th June 1906, 31 Carnarvon Street, Netherfield, Nottingham. 
*  He worked as a Shunter On Railway on 4th June 1906.
*  Living: 9th July 1907, 45 Chandos Street, Carlton, Nottingham. 
*  He worked as a Railway Brakeman on 9th July 1907.
*  Living: 1911, 2 York Street, Netherfield, Nottingham. 
*  He worked as a Railway Brakeman in 1911.
*  He worked as a Railway Guard on 10th November 1928.
*  Living: 7th February 1942, 38 Forester Street, Netherfield, Nottingham. 
*  He worked as a Railway Goods Guard on 7th February 1942.
 
   

Florence Louisa Winterbotham Peet

 
Florence is the daughter of Henry Peet and Mary Ann Whitworth and was born on the 16th of July 1879 in Newark on Trent in Nottinghamshire.  She died in 1957 at the age of 78, her death is registered in Basford in Nottingham.
 
Her birth and death are recorded in the following;
Birth Florence L W Peet 1879. Q4 - Oct. Nov. Dec., Newark. Volume 7b, Page 386.
Death Florence L W Andrews. Dec 1957. Basford, Nottinghamshire. Volume 3c, Page 15.
 
In this year, 1879;
  • 11th January, the Anglo-Zulu War begins;
  • 22nd January, Zulu troopsmassacre the British at the Battle of Isandlwana.  At Rorke's Drift, vastly outnumbered British soldiers drive the attackers away after hours of fighting.  The battle is immortalised in the 1964 Michael Caine film Zulu.
The name Winterbotham may come from the following marriage;
Nottinghamshire Marriage Licences Volume 2. Part 1. - Archdeacon's Court 1701 – 1753
14 Sep 1746 George Peet, p. St. Mary's Nottm., Taylor, 28, bac., & Mary Winterbottom, of p. St. Mary's Nottm., 17, spr.; at St. Mary's of Arnold.
 
All her sisters, except for Marian have the name Winterbotham included in their names, though Rose and Bertha have it as Winterbottom.  The difference between the names is likely to be pronunciation at the time of recording it.  The name Winterbotham or Winterbottom is believed to come from the surname of one of her ancestors, though that person has not been found.
 
 
On the 1881 census the family home is 5 North Gate in Newark.
 
Name
Relationship to
Head of Family
Age   Occupation Birthplace
Henry Peet Head 38 Married General Smith Notts Newark
Marian Peet Wife 32 Married Smith's Wife Notts Bothamsall
Marian Daughter 8   Scholar Notts Newark
Gertrude A W Peet Daughter 3   Scholar Notts Newark
Florence L W Peet Daughter 1   Scholar Notts Newark
Mary J Jessop Servant 14   General Servant Domestic Notts Newark
 
Despite the census saying that Florence was a scholar it clearly wouldn't be the case.  It can be assumed that Henry is a successful businessman as they family employ a servant.
 
Between 1881 and 1889 the family moved to 5 Bar Gate which is just 240 feet from 5 North Gate.  This new home at that time was a much larger premises, in 1881 it was used as a Drapers and housed the draper and his wife and five children, aged between six and twelve.  Also living there were four females classed as servants, though they were a dressmaker, a milliner and two sales women, also three male draper's apprentices classed as servants and two female domestic servants.  All nine servants were aged between 15 and 29.  So it was a household of 16.  The size of the property also suggests that Henry was a success.  However on the 28th of July 1889 Florence lost her father when he died of Typhoid after a 17 day illness.
 
So it would seem that Florence's father must be succeeding in his business to be able to make such a move.  Tragically on the 28th of July 1889, in Bargate House her father, Henry who was working as an iron founder died.  He had died of typhoid that had lasted for 17 days, he was just 38 years old.  His probate later that year confirms his success;
 
Henry Peet – Probate 31/10/1889.
The Will of Henry Peet late of Newark-upon-Trent in the county of Nottinghamshire General Smith who died 28/7/1889 at Newark-upon-Trent was proved at Nottingham by Mary Ann Peet Widow the Relict and George Peet General Smith the Brother both of Newark-upon-Trent the surviving Executors.
Personal estate £1802 11s 9d
 
In 2018 £1802 would now be worth £227 462.
 
1, 3 and 5 North Gate
 
No. 1 and 3 are a pair of houses from the late 17th century, now in use as offices.  The original roofing has been replaced with modern concrete tiles and pantiles.  The bay windows are late 19th century.  No. 5 is of the same period but in the local blue lias limestone rather than the much more common brick.  The doorway appears to be relatively modern, though reasonably in keeping with the period.  All are listed Grade II. - Alan Murray-Rust
 
The 1891 census shows that the family home is still 5 Bar Gate in Newark, and her mother is now in business;
Mary A. Peet Head Widow 42 Coal Dealer Notts Bothamsall
Marian Daughter Single 18 Pupil Teacher Notts Newark
Gertrude A Daughter Single 13   Notts Newark
Florence L Daughter Single 11 Scholar Notts Newark
Lillian B Daughter Single 9 Scholar Notts Newark
Rose E Daughter Single 7 Scholar Notts Newark
Bertha M Daughter Single 4   Notts Newark
John Whitworth Father Married 66 Tailor Notts Tuxford
Ann Mother Married 71   Notts Bothamsall
Edith L Taylor Servant Single 16 General Servant Domestic Notts Newark
 
Despite the wealth that her father had built up, her mother Marian was not such a good businesswoman and unfortunately went bankrupt in 1898.  If Florence was not already working by then, she certainly was by 1901.  In 1901 there is a Florence Peet aged 21 from Newark who is working as a Housemaid and Domestic at the Rectory in Linby.  Home to William Weddall, Clergyman, Susan Weddall his wife and Edward Weddall their son.  They also employed Mary Gee as a cook.
 
The marriage lasted until the 7th of February 1942 when with Florence is in attendance John died at the General Hospital in Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
 
At the age of 78 Florence died in 1957 and her death was registered in Basford in Nottinghamshire
 
 
Noted events in her life were:
*  Living: 1881, 5 North Gate, Newark, Nottinghamshire. 
*  Living: 1891, 5 Bargate, Newark, Nottingham. 
*  She worked as a Scholar in 1891.
*  Living: 1901, The Rectory, Linby, Nottinghamshire. 
*  She worked as a Housemaid and Domestic in 1901 in The Rectory, Linby, Nottinghamshire.
*  Living: 4th of June 1906, Winthorpe Hall, Near Newark, Nottinghamshire. 
*  She worked as a Service on 4th of June 1906.
*  Living: 1907, 45 Chandos Street, Carlton, Nottingham. 
*  Living: 1911, 2 York Street, Netherfield, Nottingham. 
*  Living: 7th of February 1942, 36 Forester Street, Netherfield, Nottingham. 
 
John and Florence married on the 4th of June 1906 at the Barnby Gate Weslyan Chapel in Newark, Nottinghamshire. 
 
Children from this marriage were:
i.    John Henry Andrews – (9/7/1907 – 1971)
 
 

Ancestors

 
4th Generation 5th Generation 6th Generation  
Great Grandparents 2nd Great Grandparents 3rd Great Grandparents  
       
    William Andrews (1818 - Before 1901)  
  John Andrews (1843 - 15/10/1922)    
    Jane Woodhoust* (9/9/1821 - After 1901)  
John Andrews (15/11/1882 - 7/2/1942)      
    Henry Isaac (1813 - 28/7/1842)  
  Elizabeth Isaac (27/6/1841 - 1911)    
    Ann Inder (1821 - )  
       
    George Peet (1826 - Before 13/10/1894)  
  Henry Peet (1850 - 28/7/1889)    
    Charlotte Lacy (1830 - 1898)  
Florence Louisa Winterbottom Peet (16/7/1879 - 1957)      
    John Whitworth (1825 - 1907)  
  Mary Ann Whitworth (1849 - 6/4/1936)    
    Ann Jepson (1819 - 5/12/1893)