This is the family tree of my father Dudley John Andrews who was born on the 28th of May 1929 and died on the 18th of April 2010 at the age of 80.

Family relationships within the tree are with regards to myself.

If you hold the copyright for any of the pictures that are in use, please contact me so I can attribute them or remove them.


Third Generation (Grand Father)

John Henry Andrews
known as Jack
Dudley John Andrews (1929 - 2010)
Stephen Andrews (1959 - )
Edward VII (1901 - 1910)               House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1901 - 1917) and Windsor (from 1917)                 
George V (1910 - 1936)                    
Edward VIII (1936 - 1936)
George VI (1936 - 1952)
Elizabeth II (1952 - )

John who was known as Jack is the son of John Andrews and Florence Louisa Winterbotham Peet, he was born on the 9th of July 1907 at 45 Chandos Street in Carlton, Nottingham and died on the 4th of October 1971 at home at 5 Manor Crescent in Carlton, at the age of 64.  He was cremated four days later on the 8th at Wilford Hill Crematorium in Nottingham.  Although his birth certificate states that the family home was in Carlton it would now be classed as being in Netherfield.

The cause of death was a) carcinomatosis, b) carcinoma of the bronchus. 

Carcinomatosis is described as a condition in which multiple carcinomas develop simultaneously, usually after dissemination from a primary source. 

At the time of Jack’s death he was a company director.

Possess Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate                          

According to his son Dudley, Jack had a twin who died in infancy and an older brother who died in childhood aged between 5 – 7 years.  But on the 1911 Census John & Florence are listed as having one child born alive and is still living, this is Jack.  It is possible that Jack’s parents did not declare the twin on the census but at present there is no trace of another birth on the registers.  At this time the family were living at 2 York Street in Netherfield, Nottingham, a four roomed house.  The census states that Jack was born in Netherfield, which confirms that Chandos Street, where he was born is the one in Netherfield and not the one in St. Ann's.



At the age of 21 Jack, who was working as a clerk, married Noreen Dudley on the 10th of November 1928 in St. Matthias’ Sneinton Church, St. Matthias Road, Nottingham.  The marriage was witnessed by Walter Charles Dudley, Noreen's father, and Florence May Cooper.  Due to the dates of the marriage and Dudley’s birth this meant that Noreen was already pregnant when the couple married.  The marriage unfortunately ended in divorce during 1946.

St. Matthias' Church on St. Matthias Road, St. Ann’s Nottingham, known as St. Matthias' Sneinton, was closed in 2003 and has since re-opened as St. Mary and St. George Coptic Orthodox Church having been bought in 2006 and on 22nd of March 2009 it held its first service.  It was also the church at which Dudley married Betty Hebblethwaite on the 4th of July 1953.

At the time of Dudley’s birth, on the 28th of May 1929, Jack and Noreen were living with Noreen’s parents at 18 Spalding Road in Carlton in Nottingham and by now Jack was working as an Insurance Agent.


St. Matthias Church

The following year, on the 25th of September 1930 Jack and Noreen had another son, David Anthony, known as Tony.  Although he was born at 3 Conway Road in Carlton according to his birth certificate Jack and Noreen were living at separate addresses, at their respective parents addresses, Jack at 2 York Street, Netherfield, Nottingham whilst Noreen was at 18 Spalding Road, Nottingham.  Jack was employed as a printers clerk.  The connection to Conway Road is not known bearing in mind where Jack and Noreen are living.
By the time their third son, Derek, was born on the 3rd of May 1932 Jack and Noreen were living together again.  Derek was born in the General Hospital on Gwendolen Road in Leicester.  The family home at this time was 12 Vallance Road, Leicester and Jack was now a printing sales manager.  Dudley mentions in his ‘life story’ that he can recall a flat in Billesdon, Leicester, so it appears that the family is all together, although it wasn’t for long.  Dudley was raised by his grandparents Walter and Mabel, Noreen’s parents, David and Derek were raised by Jack’s parents, John and Florence Andrews.  It is not known why David and Derek were not raised by them but according to Dudley he was ill at the time of Derek’s birth;
Brother Derek was born 3rd May 1932, brother David Anthony (Tony) was around 18 months old, I was ill with a sore mouth and taken to hospital. I must have had whooping cough at this time because I infected the whole ward and we were all isolated. I remember seeing my Grandpa Dudley looking through the glass doors at me, he was a commercial traveller at that time; it was here I spent my third birthday. One of my presents was a toy barrel organ, made of tin, filled with sweets, sent to me by a Mrs. Briggs, the owner of a sweet shop on Carlton Road.
Because my mother had just had Derek and I had just come out of hospital I was taken to Spalding Road for a few weeks whilst my mother got over Derek's birth; those few weeks lasted until after I was married at 24.  I never lived with my parents and brothers again.”

Three years later, by 1935 Jack and Noreen are living at 53 Wood End Lane in Gravelly Hill, Birmingham.  Both of them are on the electoral register, with Noreen having qualified through Jack’s occupation.  Their three children are probably not with them and are with the two sets of grandparents.

In December 1938 it was announced in the House of Commons that in the event of war, a National Register would be taken that listed the personal details of every civilian in Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  This Register was to be a critical tool in coordinating the war effort at home.  It would be used amongst other things to issue identity cards and organise rationing. 


Noreen Andrews nee Dudley, Mabel Dudley nee Smith, John Henry Andrews,
Dudley John Andrews, Walter Charles Dudley, about 1930
This is a thumbnail, click to enlarge

On the 3rd of September 1939 Britain declared war on Germany and Britain’s involvement in the Second World War began.  With the outbreak of war the National Service (Armed Forces) Act came into force, this act imposed a liability to conscription of all men 18 to 41 years old.  Subsequently it was announced that National Registration Day would be the 29th of September 1939.

At that date Jack is working as a printers traveller and is back in Nottingham living at 38 Forester Street in Netherfield, the home of his parents John and Florence, together with two others whose records are officially closed at the present time.  It can be assumed that these two are his sons David Anthony and Derek.  Under instructions on the register it states that Jack was ‘First Aid A.R.P’.  Noreen is not registered at this home, she is in Chelsea in London, and so the couple had by this time split up.  It is known that Jack was a gambler and lost a considerable amount of money and that might have led to the divorce with Noreen, although there is another family 'rumour' that could be the cause of the subsequent divorce.

Jack’s involvement in the war was ‘brief’.  It is not known whether Jack was a volunteer or conscripted and at what date he signed up.  However following the National Services Act it is likely that he was conscripted.

According to his son Dudley, Jack was in the Royal Engineers and was seriously injured and taken prisoner before the Dunkirk evacuation in 1940.  At present, (1st of January 2019) there is no record of him in Ancestry’s directory of WWII POW’s.                             

He was imprisoned at Stalag XXI A in Poland.  Many of the prisoners were marched from France to Poland, although there is no evidence that this happened to Jack.  The camp was established in some of the town buildings in Schildberg, now called Ostrzeszow, about 44 miles ENE of Breslau, now Wroclaw in SW Poland.  The camp opened in September 1939 and in March 1943 it was closed down, with the POW's being transferred to other camps. 

Whilst a prisoner there he took part in the Concert Party and produced some of the concerts as well as producing he often took the female roles.
This is a thumbnail, click to enlarge


Prisoner Exchange 


In 1943 Jack was repatriated in an exchange of wounded POW's.  It is likely that this repatriation took place via Sweden.  He was to be the first POW to come home in

On the 19th of October 1943 there was an exchange of prisoners between the British and the Germans.  The Geneva Convention makes provision for the repatriation of all Prisoners of War, even during hostilities.  During 1939 – 1945 it was only possible for the British and Germans to reach agreement over the seriously ill and disabled.   This meant that for the majority of the 40,000 British servicemen who were taken prisoner in 1939 and 1940, the war was to be a very long and dispiriting experience.  In late 1940 negotiations begun, conducted through the Red Cross, over the repatriation of seriously wounded men.  Because at this time there were far fewer German men in this category negotiations stalled, it was only after substantial numbers of Germans were taken prisoner in the desert campaigns of 1942 that the talks resumed.  But it still took until October 1943 for the actual exchange of prisoners to take place.



From our Special Correspondent GOTHENBURG, OCT. 19

Trains bearing prisoners from Germany for repatriation to Britain began arriving here from the Trelleborg ferry in the early hours of Monday, and the transfer to the Swedish steamship Drottningholm was made during darkness. Before dawn more than 1,200, most of them men from Great Britain, but also 20 Canadians, 20 Australians, a few Palestinians, and some from other parts of the British Empire, were on board.

About noon the German steamships Ruegen and Meteor brought a further 650 to the quays at Gothenburg just as the Drottningham was pulling out for Vinga to adjust her compasses, preparatory to sailing to Great Britain.

The British steamers Empress of Russia and Atlantis reached Gothenburg this afternoon with 835 German repatriates. Meanwhile further trains with allied prisoners from Germany, France, and Holland were arriving, bringing besides the service men about 50 civilians, mostly aged or unfit men and women, and at least one infant, born in a camp 10 weeks ago. The civilians were mostly from Vittel camp, in the Vosges.

Apparently the actual departure of the ships depends on some signal that a similar exchange has reached the agreed stage also in Oran. This is expected to arrive in time for the German ships to sail at 8 a.m. on Thursday and the British ships at 10.30 a.m. to reach England during the week-end.


A remarkably large number of the men were wearing ribbons of the last war. One of these – William Watts, of Belfast – was captured at Boulogne in September, 1940, sent to Lamsdorf VIIIB camp in Germany, where to his astonishment, he met his son, William, who had been captured at Calais in June. Many of the man referred to the devoted and courageous service of a British medical officer, Captain Webster, who untiringly served his fellow captives and fought for better medical treatment and camp conditions. He was constantly in conflict with the German officials, who eventually transferred him to a Russian camp, making him responsible for the entire medical arrangements there.

The abundant stories of attempts to escape include the exploits of one John Dexter, who, after several failures, was transferred to a disciplinary camp. The German in charge, half admiringly, offered to bet him anything that he would not get out of that camp. Dexter took the bet and within 24 hours disappeared, remaining at large over a week.

Three hours spent among the 1,200 new passengers in the Drottningholm on Monday morning furnished a stimulating and indeed an inspiring experience. Most of them had been prisoners for well over three years; all had endured long and severe hardships; some were maimed and many more had less obvious injuries, yet all of them displayed a buoyant spirit. It became apparent, after on had talked with the men in different parts of the ship, that theirs was not merely the natural cheerfulness of men who were going home. These were men whose confident spirit had remained high and intact through the darkest period.


“Jerry could not understand us,” said one man who had been selected for exchange under the abortive plan of two years ago. “When we were told the disappointing news that the exchange scheme had fallen through at the last moment a group of us struck up a tune, and in a few seconds all were singing lustily ‘Land of hope and glory.’ Our German attendants just threw up their hands. Clearly they thought we were crazy. They were unable to understand why we did not show any downheartedness.” One airman whose foot was missing said quietly and cheerfully: “Never mind, Sir. It is only a very little bit of me gone.”

The absence of self-pity among these men was one of the most striking features of their attitude. When they were asked what sort of general treatment they had experienced they usually answered, in varying terms: “Well, you see, I was fortunate.” Some, however, had grim incidents to relate, especially about the youngest members of Hitler’s armed forces, brutal fanatics with memories scarcely stretching back beyond the dawn of the Nazi period.

Some men had tiny replicas of the manacles used by the Germans which they had made in camp and had brought in matchboxes. None of those questioned by your Correspondent had been manacled. Fewer members of the fanatical S.S. youth are now on duty at the camps than formerly. They have been succeeded largely by more or less disabled guards, some indeed with artificial limbs.


Stalag VIIIB is still among the worst of the camps; one of the hardships suffered lately by prisoners was the great scarcity of water. In reply to complaints the Germans who had been evacuated from areas raided by the allies, and that the water was not adequate for both purposes. Prisoners, even members of the R.A.M.C. and of other non-combatant services, were used for various forms of labour, including work in the coalmines and saltmines. Work in the saltmines was dreaded most. Stalag VIIIB was now the most overcrowded camp, especially since the arrival there of thousands of prisoners from Africa and Italy. Some of the men said that the Swiss commission recently stated that the maximum capacity of this camp was 5,000, but a fortnight ago there were 16,000 prisoners in it.

All the men expressed unbounded gratitude to the Red Cross, and said that without its help they could scarcely have kept body and spirit together. Some stated that food parcels since the beginning of the year had reached the camps with great regularity. Soap and cigarettes were among the most useful items, as they could be easily and widely used for bartering. The men said that the German doctors worked well and conscientiously when prisoners reached their hands, but one airman who had crashed said that the first doctor who saw him declared that he would not treat him unless the patient gave his interrogators full information about the aerodrome from which he had flown and other details about the raid he was engaged in – such as the number of aircraft and the size of the crews. Eventually, however, he received proper surgical treatment.

From The Times, 20th October 1943

Later in 1943, the camp was renamed Oflag XXI-C for the imprisonment of 1,150 military officers transferred from Norway.  On August 16, 1943 the German Wehrmacht arrested all Norwegian officers who were still in Norway. Of the approximately 1,500 officers who were detained, probably one third were sent home the following week because of age, illness, etc… the remainder were to become prisoners in Poland.

Jack's eldest son, Dudley wrote in his life story;
"In 1943 my father, who had been wounded just before Dunkirk and taken prisoner was repatriated and he asked the taxi driver what the flags were out in Netherfield for, and the driver said "they are for you mate".  He was repatriated in an exchange of wounded POWs, he had been loaded up with thousands of cigarettes and other goodies, that was when I learned to smoke."
This is a thumbnail, click to enlarge


In 1945 at 46 Holly Road in Kings Norton, Birmingham on the electoral register there is a John Henry and Elsie, though this is before John Henry was divorced, and they are both Andrews'.  There is no proof, at present, that this is our John Henry and his subsequent second wife.
On the 29th of November 1946 the Nottingham Evening Post reported from the Nottingham Assizes that John Henry Andrews of 38 Forester Street, Netherfield was granted a decree nisi that day due to wife’s desertion.
In 1947 Jack married 37 year-old divorcee Elsie May Taylor nee Wood at the registry office in Nottingham and two years later the couple were back there again.  On the19th of February 1949 Jack and Elsie were witnesses to the marriage of Elsie's daughter, Audrey at the registry office.  Later that same year, on the 13th of November, the couple themselves had a son who they called Christopher Glenn.  When he was born Christopher was already a generation apart from his half-siblings as he was twenty years younger than his eldest half-siblings, Dudley and Audrey.
After the war Jack had gone into the Pay Corps, a non-combatant regiment and it was whilst in the Corps that he met Maurice Coupe.  Jack was soon employed by M.H. Coupe Ltd a furniture retailer, before branching out on his own in 1956 and taking over the Netherfield branch of Coupe's and rebranding it as Jack Andrews Ltd, with two shops on Victoria Road in Netherfield.  These were subsequently taken over by his son Christopher, with one being used as a second-hand shop furniture shop.
Jack Andrews Ltd 77 Victoria Road, Netherfield, Nottingham, NG24 2NN. 
Company Number 00566575, incorporated 25/5/1956.
His son  Christopher Glenn Andrews was listed as a director on 30th June 1991.  He was classed as Company Secretary and Shop Manager.  Chris’ wife Frances was also a director at this time and classed as a Shop Assistant.  Chris was also a director of Renshire Finance Ltd, this is likely to be the finance company that Jack used (owned).

Jack & Elsie Wedding Day 1947

This is a thumbnail, click to enlarge


Jack and Elsie were happily married until Jack's death on the 4th of October 1971 at 5 Manor Crescent in Carlton.
Jack played the drums, possibly one of the reasons he joined the concert party whilst a prisoner of war.
Noted events in his life were:
*  Living: 1911, 2 York Street, Netherfield, Nottingham. 
*  Living: 10th November 1928, 2 York Street, Netherfield, Nottingham. 
*  He worked as a clerk on 10th November 1928. 
*  Living: 28th May 1929, 18 Spalding Road, Nottingham. 
*  He worked as an insurance agent on 28th May 1929.
*  Living: 25th September 1930, 2 York Street, Netherfield, Nottingham. 
*  He worked as a printers clerk on 25th September 1930.
*  Living: 3rd May 1932, 12 Vallance Road, Leicester. 
*  He worked as a printing sales manager on 3rd May 1932.
*  Living: 1935, 53 Wood End Lane, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham. 
*  Living: 29th September 1939, 38 Forester Street, Netherfield, Nottingham. 
*  He worked as a printers traveller and as a First Aid A.R.P. on 29th September 1939.
*  Living: 29th September 1946, 38 Forester Street, Netherfield, Nottingham. 
*  Divorce: 29th September 1946, Nottingham Assizes.
*  He worked as a manager for M. H. Coupe Ltd on St. Ann's Well Road,  Nottingham in 1950.
*  He worked as a sales manager on 4th July 1953.
*  He worked as a self-employed furniture retailer on 25th May 1956 in 77 Victoria Road, Netherfield, Nottingham, NG24 2NN.
*  Living: 4th October 197, 5 Manor Crescent, Carlton, Nottingham. 
*  He worked as a company director of Jack Andrews Ltd. on 4th October 1971.
*  Cremated: 8th October 1971 at Wilford Hill Crematorium in Nottingham.
Jack married Noreen Dudley on the 10th of November 1928 at St. Matthias' Church, St. Matthias Road, St. Ann's, Nottingham.
Children from this marriage were:
i.     Dudley John Andrews – (28/5/1929 – 18/4/2010)
ii.    David Anthony Andrews – (25/9/1930 - )
iii.   Derek Andrews – (3/5/1932 – 1998)
Jack married Elsie May Wood in 1947 at the Registry Office in Nottingham, Elsie already had one daughter, Audrey.
Children from this marriage were:
i.     Christopher Glenn Andrews – (13/11/1949 – 17/10/2001)


This is a thumbnail, click to enlarge


Life in Stalag XXI A

Concert Party

Jack took an active role in the camp's concert party, not only performing but also producing.  As can be seen he produced the 1942 Christmas production of Tulip time in what would be his last Christmas as a prisoner of war.



A production of "OUTWARD BOUND", Jack is believed to be the 'lady' in the hat and waistcoat
These are thumbnails, click to enlarge
Prisoner of War magazine

A Prisoner of War magazine was published and distributed by the International Red Cross during World War Two.  The magazines were published monthly and sent to the families of prisoners.  The Red Cross portrayed a false impression of conditions at the camps and did not mention the hardship faced by the prisoners.

These are some of the pictures from the various editions of the paper, it is mentioned in the paper that some of those in 1944 are from repatriated men.

               June 1943                                         July 1943                                      April 1944                                      April 1944

                 April 1944                                   October 1944

These are thumbnails, click to enlarge.

July 1943

April 1944

These are thumbnails, click to enlarge.

Sergeant Bernard Cummings Allcock

This is the story of Sergeant Bernard Cummings Allcock and he was held at Stalag XXI-A at the same time as Jack.  Some of the photos that are mentioned are above.

‘My father was a prisoner, at this camp, from 1940 until repatriation in 1944.  His name was Sgt. Bernard Cummings Allcock and he was in the RAMC.  He was captured in a church, in Belgium, on his way to Dunquerque.  I believe he was part of the hospital staff, at the camp.  I have a few photos of the camp concerts that used to be put on.’

‘I have very few stories to give you but I do remember him telling me that, on capture, he was put against a wall with his colleagues and the Germans were going to shoot them all but changed their minds.  He walked to the camp, like so many others, finding food where they could and helping other prisoners to walk, rather than see them shot out-of-hand, when they fell by the roadside.’

‘He did say that they made a type of whisky in the hospital, from either potatoes or rhubarb or both.  They swapped chocolate for soap with the locals.  He also said that there was an escape, from the latrines.  One other thing I remember him saying and that was that either a Dixon or a Waddington was also at the camp and that they would have been something to do with the Stationery or Games people (I just can't remember which one is correct).  If anybody knows the name of my father or can point me in the direction of people who do, I would be very grateful.  My father passed away in October 1963.

Bernard Cummings Allcock - Army History


Private Andrew Duggan (4197366)
Private Andrew Duggan enlisted in the Worcestershire Regiment in November 1939.  The British Expeditionary Force, which included the 7th and 8th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment, and landed in Le Havre on the 16th January 1940.  Private Duggan joined the Worcesters and the B.E.F. in France on the 11th April 1940.

At the end of May 1940 the British troops were retreating towards Dunkirk and it was during this rear guard action that Private Duggan was wounded in the head and shortly afterwards was captured and became a prisoner of war.

Over the next few years he found himself moving from one prisoner of war camp to another Oflag 64/Z, Stalag XXIA and Stalag XXID.  He was given a POW number of 18043.

Initially he was at Oflag 64/Z at Schokken, Poland followed by a move to Stalag XXIA which was located near Schildberg, Poland (now called Ostrzeszow). This camp was initially open in September 1939 at the start of the war.  In March 1943, Stalag XXIA closed and Private Duggan was moved to Stalag XXID near Posen (Poznan) on the Polish border.  This camp was split over several old "forts", situated on the River Warter and dating back to the Franco Prussian wars.

Due to his wounds Private Duggan was repatriated back to England on the 25th October 1943 as part of a prisoner of war swap and was finally discharged from military service on the 5th March 1944.

Thanks to his daughter Valerie Fogg below are a few photos taken of her father as a POW.

Private Duggan wearing eye-patch at Stalag XXI A

This is a thumbnail, click to enlarge



3rd Generation 4th Generation 5th Generation  
Grandparents Great Grandparents 2nd Great Grandparents  
    John Andrews (1843 - 15/10/1922)  
  John Andrews (15/11/1882 - 7/2/1942)    
    Elizabeth Isaac (27/6/1841 - 1911)  
John Henry Andrews (9/7/1907 - 4/10/1971)      
    Henry Peet (1850 - 28/7/1889)  
  Florence Louisa Winterbottom Peet (16/7/1879 - 1957)    
    Mary Ann Whitworth (1849 - 6/4/1936)  
    Joseph Dudley (14/1/1850 - 7/2/1918)  
  Walter Charles Dudley (2/8/1881 - 19/11/1962)    
    Fanny Hazzard (1853 - 5/11/1917)  
Noreen Dudley (9/12/1907 - 18/12/1981)      
    Arthur Smith (12/1/1859 - 29/7/1916)  
  Mabel Elizabeth Smith (5/5/1882 - 4/9/1969)    


  Mary Elizabeth Eyley (18/9/1857 - 22/9/1945)